Standing on the shoulders of giants.
As of 2022 our Timeline database contains over 5,600 entries. That didn't just happen. It started with the hard work of many people who came before us, of whom this page is an acknowledgement. The following sources were invaluable in getting us started:
- "Rhode Island History Day by Day" by Charles Carroll, Ph.D., LL.D., from Rhode Island's Historical Background by the Tercentenary Commission of the State of Rhode Island and Providence Plantations (1936)
- Rhode Island Atlas by Marion I. Wright and Robert J. Sullivan (1982)
- Rhode Island Manual (1989-1990)
- Providence Fire Department Historic Time Line by Ernie Young (1992).
- Journal-Bulletin Almanac (1998)
- Calendar of Events in Rhode Island Related to African-American Heritage (2008).
- Timeline of Rhode Island Banking (accessed 2015).
- History of Narragansett, RI from 1800-1999: A Chronology of Major Events by Richard Vangermeersch (2017).
- GenDisasters.com: Rhode Island (accessed 2019).
- www.usdeadlyevents.com (accessed 2020).
We combined the data from these sources, edited, revised, and checked for accuracy (an ongoing process), and added more historical events from hundreds of other sources to create a comprehensive Timeline of important (and not-so-important) events in Rhode History, from the first (alleged) visit by Norsemen to Narragansett Bay in the year 1000 to the present day.
As always, we welcome additions or corrections. Email firstname.lastname@example.org to let us know what we left out or got wrong.