Erected around 1719, the whipping post was left in place when the John Almy House was constructed in 1794. Occupants would have had only to look out the window to enjoy the show on Whipping Day.
Photo from Images of America: Tiverton and Little Compton Volume II by Nancy Jensen Devin and Richard V. Simpson (1998).

Return to Ye Olde Whipping Post

© 1999–2017 Quahog.org (with the exception of elements provided by contributors, as noted).