This scythe blade was manufactured in Forestdale in 1842 by Mansfield and Lamb. During the Civil War the factory switched to the production of sabers, turning the old saying about beating swords into plowshares on its head. The one shown here dates from 1862.
Collection of the North Smithfield Heritage Association.

Return to Cobble Rock

© 1999–2017 Quahog.org (with the exception of elements provided by contributors, as noted).