This photograph of a detailed horsecar dates from 1890. The crew progressed along Plainfield Street, through Olneyville, to Providence by way of Westminster Street. Upon reaching Market Square, the vehicle, without the horses, jerked up College Hill to the Red Bridge, pulled by New England's only cable car operation. During the electric era, trolleys frequented this once-popular route to East Providence over the Seekonk River.
Image from All Aboard: The History of Mass Transportation in Rhode Island by Scott Molloy, Ph.D. (1998).

Return to Mass Transit In Rhode Island, Part 5

© 1999–2017 Quahog.org (with the exception of elements provided by contributors, as noted).